Wednesday, April 3, 2013

IF

NaPoWriMo DayThree

Kerry's Wednesday Challenge ~ Existentialism


If
it doesn’t matter
then it doesn’t matter
who I choose to love
above all others in this
here and now

Or that I choose a narrow path
and not get lost in magnitude

If
it doesn’t matter
then it doesn’t matter
that I choose to hear the canary’s song
and not  the vulture’s groan

I can accept the fault as mine
if tears instead of smiles abound

I alone choose
to make or break
to love or hate
to share or hoard
all at my own accord

If
it doesn’t matter
then it doesn’t matter
that there is no special
world beyond this present one

when all of this
is said and done



“ellecee”







13 comments:

  1. I found it fascinating to follow your train of thought in this poem. Many excellent lines to quote, but I really like the ideas expressed here:

    If
    it doesn’t matter
    then it doesn’t matter
    that I choose to hear the canary’s song
    and not the vulture’s groan

    I can accept the fault as mine
    if tears instead of smiles abound

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big question that 'if' is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem Ellecee! So true! I agree there would be no special world if that's done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers, what a write! I especially love choosing the canary's song rather than the vulture's groan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so it is ~ You have captured the spirit of existentialism ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on! Existentialism at its best ... 'when all of this is said and done'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be better to make this world the best we could. Let this world be our heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course it all matter!
    No it don't, just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If it doesn't matter"...and yet, what if it does? What if you hadn't become a poet? What if we hadn't the opportunity to read what you have written here?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it doesn't matter...we spend our whole life trying to prove it does, proving things that shouldn't matter. Love how you make me think with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If ... it shouldn't matter when you are all set with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this has me thinking because
    if
    it doesn't matter
    then it doesn't matter
    if you don't believe until you see

    wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah. But the only one your actions matter to IS you - it's called peace of mind or soul. Whichever you choose.

    ReplyDelete